Saturday, November 26, 2011

Week 4, 6165

This week’s assignment was very interesting and eye opening. I loved the idea of evaluating ourselves then asking two other people to do the same so we could see how we view ourselves, as well as how other’s view us. I will admit I was nervous asking people to participate in this assignment because I was afraid I might get answer’s back that were different to mine and that could possibly upset me. Many people have told me from all different parts of my life that I am not someone who usually bits her tongue. Growing up my parent’s always said that I spoke my mind all the time and at time I have been accused of coming off very blunt and strong. I have always agreed that I do have aggressive tendencies but never found myself to be as direct as other’s have described me.  The one thing that surprised me the most is that the people I choose to evaluate me did not rate me as harshly on my verbal aggressiveness as i thought they would.

5 comments:

  1. Megan,

    I too was nervous about asking others to be open and honest in how they described me as a person, but I found out such interesting things from them...stuff I knew I did but did not realize I did as much as they reported.

    It was interesting to see where our assessments agreed and differed from our view of our self to the others view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both the other people I asked to help me with this assignment verified that I wanted them to be honest and that I would not be offended. I was not too surprised by their results but this assignment gave me a great opportunity to discuss communication with colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it that these assessments were very eye opening as well. I was expecting the evaluations from others to completely show a different side of me and amazingly I found out that they were the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I let my husband evaluate me for this assignment. I was prepared to either be upset that he did not see me the way I thought I was or that we were similar in our thinking. Luckily, it worked out that we were very similar in our thinking and his scores ended up within a few points of mine. This assignment was eye-opening and interesting to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan,
    It can be a little scary to hear feedback when people are giving you a personal evaluation. I don’t feel that there is anything wrong with being direct in communication. I believe that what is important is the delivery of the message and how others will interpret it. Being aware of your personal strengths and weaknesses gives you opportunity to make build on your communication practices.

    ReplyDelete