Sunday, November 13, 2011

EDYC 6165 Week #2

The show I video tapped this week was "How I Met Your Mother"

with the sound off:
  • What do you think the characters’ relationships are based on the ways in which they are communicating?
All the characters do not seem like they are friends or love each other. They seem angry and hostile at times
  • What are they feeling and expressing based on the nonverbal behavior you are observing?
They seem angry and upset based on facial expressions and body language

What assumptions did you make about the characters and plot based on the ways in which you interpreted the communication you observed?

I assumed this was a very sarcastic and bitter show. I did re-watch the show with the volume and found it to be entertaining and funny so i definitely got the wrong impression.
  • Would your assumptions have been more correct if you had been watching a show you know well?
I defiantly believe my assumptions would of been spot on had I of been watching a show I knew well such as, "Two and a Half Men"

2 comments:

  1. I also agree that it is easy to make the wrong assumptions when the sound is off. I also think that it would be much easier to make assumptions that are somewhat correct had we watched a show that we were familiar with. It is amazing how much communication requires body language and facial expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. facial expressions are often taken the wrong way or out of context. I was just watching two people from across the room today and totally thought that they were fighting. However as I moved closer it was not anger but stress about a problem they were trying to solve.

    ReplyDelete