Friday, September 30, 2011

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

My boss at work just returned this week from his 2 week destination wedding/honeymoon in Hawaii. Upon his returning he mentioned to us that he would need t leave early the following day to attend a Rosh Hashanah celebration with his new wife. I then asked if his new wife was Jewish which he said yes. I let him know that I worked with a Jewish organization for 8 years and was familiar with a lot of the holidays and traditions and if he wanted to impress his new wife by having a background of the upcoming holiday i'd be happy to give him so information. Te following day let him know of what hebrew saying he could tell his wife to wish her  happy new year. The group joke and mocked the phrasing a little and I didn't really think much of it. After view this week's video on microaggression I realized that if someone in our general area actually was Jewish as well that could of been very hurtful to them. This week's video has definitely made me more aware of the things I say and do and how they could affect the feelings of others. 

3 comments:

  1. Religion may be one of the most difficult forms of diversity to see. You cannot tell by looking at someone what religion they may be. And when someone marries into a different religion, it is even more challenging. Good for you to have offered to help your co-worker! Hopefully he will be comfortable coming to you with other questions in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,

    It is always looking back on things when we realize we might have offended someone.

    I also have come to realize that perhaps if there was someone in the crowd offended, they would not speak up. Such as in your example, if someone was Jewish and offended by the joking, it sometimes is easier to continue with the joke then to show it is hurting you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,
    I thought this week’s assignment made me realize that unintentional comments are hurtful to others and this frequently occurs more than I actually realized. Since I now have a better understanding of microaggressions and the different types, I am also more aware of the consequences. I feel that I can help play a role in prevention by sharing with others who may not be aware of the occurrences.

    ReplyDelete