Saturday, October 15, 2011

6164

  • What memory do you have of an incident when you experienced bias, prejudice, and/or oppression, or witnessed someone else as the target of bias, prejudice, and/or oppression? Keep in mind that one can encounter such incidents in real contexts, including online environments, as well as in fictional ones, such as movies, books, television shows, and the like.
I work on a team of 6 people. 4 of us are located in Maryland while the other 2 are located in Illinois. One of the team members gets preferential treatment due to her experience.She gets More files then the rest of us and More opportunities. Sometimes some of us even loose the files we have been working and they get given to her. When I ask why the response i get is that she is the backbone of the team and most tenured. 
  • In what way(s) did the specific bias, prejudice and/or oppression in that incident diminish equity?
to me this is very hurtful because i have been working with my company for almost 2 years and I am fully capable of handling the work given to me. I feel unappreciated and slighted in a way and it affects my work. This issue has been discussed with higher management as well.
 
  • What feelings did this incident bring up for you?
I feel angry, hurt, taken advantage of, stressed out, and sad.
  • What and/or who would have to change in order to turn this incident into an opportunity for greater equity?
the overall culture of the bossiness needs to change which will take a while but int eh mend time communication needs to be increased between offices. 

    1 comment:

    1. These kinds of work places make for an unmotivated staff. When those comments are made it does take away every bit of happiness and intrinsic pride that a person has. I have had jobs like that too in my life; hope it gets better for you soon and someone recognizes the marginalization that you and the others feel.

      ReplyDelete