Friday, September 16, 2011

Blog Assignment: My Family Culture

Imagine the following:
A major catastrophe has almost completely devastated the infrastructure of your country. The emergency government has decided that the surviving citizens will be best served if they are evacuated to other countries willing to take refugees. You and your immediate family are among the survivors of this catastrophic event. However, you have absolutely no input into the final destination or in any other evacuation details. You are told that your host country’s culture is completely different from your own, and that you might have to stay there permanently. You are further told that, in addition to one change of clothes, you can only take 3 small items with you. You decide to take three items that you hold dear and that represent your family culture.
Blog about all of the following:
  • A description of the three items you would choose
family picture
blanket
cell phone/charger
  • How you would explain to others what each of these items means to you
Each of these items are very important to me.  I would take would be a family picture so I have a memory of all loved ones who were unable to come with me, my blanket that I've had since a child because it's soothing and comforting to me, and my cell phone/charger so i have access to videos and voices of my friends and family
  • Your feelings if, upon arrival, you were told that you could only keep one personal item and have to give up the other two items you brought with you
I would be devastated. I don't know how I could choose between the 3 items, I guess if i had to my cell phone because it could capture all of them.
  • Any insights you gained about yourself, your family culture, diversity, and/or cultural differences in general, as a result of this exercise,
Well I have realized that modern technology is very important to me. There's a catastrophe event and my cell phone is one of my top priorities. As an experiment for myself I am going to try and see if I can go one whole day with out my cell phone.

3 comments:

  1. Megan,

    I didnt consider bringing my cell phone as I wrote this assignment, but as soon as I read your entry to occured to me I wasnt sure where my phone even was!

    I was visiting my family for the weekend and just returned to my own apartment. I left your blog to go find my phone, which was left in my car. However, there was a moment of panic when I thought I left it home! I suppose that it is more important to me then I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to go three days without access to my phone after the recent floods (my husband needed it for his office) and I found myself lost without it! What if the place you were sent to had no electricity to charge your phone or no internet to access? Would you still keep your phone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not think of my cell phone at the time, but I do not think I would take it because here on the Navajo reservation cell phone has been in here for only about one year, years before we did not have cell phones, most of the communication was done on a land line. Thank for sharing your insights. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete