Monday, October 17, 2011

Welcoming Families From Around the World

  • The name of “your” family’s country of origin
I chose the country of Australia
  • At least five ways in which you will prepare yourself to be culturally responsive towards this family
1. I will conduct research on this family though the Internet, books, and the encyclopedia. I will try to find a contact from this region or at least someone who has spent significant time in this region to gain more information.
3. I will set time aside to meet with their family to learn more about them and their traditions
4. I will find something to remind this child of home ad incorporate it into my classroom to help them adjust
5. I will introduce the children in my class to this culture before out new student enters so they too are more away.

A brief statement describing in what ways you hope that these preparations will benefit both you and the family

I hope with these preprations that not only myself will gain a better understanding but the children in the classroom will as well to encourage the welcoming process. I also hope it will show the family to effort I am putting forward in prder to make them and their child comfotable in the transitionn to not only a new country but way of life.

4 comments:

  1. Megan,

    I think incorporating stuff into the classroom that reminds the children of home is great. It gives them a sense of familiarity.

    I think its also great to get the other children in class involved

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,

    Your last statement is very important. As I have mainly transient students in my class at the international school I teach at, I am used to new families coming to Japan for the first time. The families who come sometimes do not have support networks set up yet, so the parents may need assistance in more ways then you think. I have had new moms ask me where to shop for simple items, or where to get their hair cut by an English speaker, etc. It is also nice to get other parents involved in helping the new families settle in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also chose to find out more information about the culture of the family moving in. I think it is important for the EC professional to feel knowledgeable about the child's culture. Like Cassie, I think that finding something to remind the child of home is a great idea. I also liked that you would teach the new culture to your students before the new child comes into class. This is a great way to make them more understanding of the new child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan,
    I think it is a great idea finding out about the culture of the expecting family as well as introducing the children in your class to the new culture before the student arrives. I think those two ideas really stand out and they will really assist in facilitating a smooth transition. When families realize that time was spend researching their way of life and the class was informed of their addition to the family, they will recognize the value being attached to their inclusion in the teaching learning environment. It will assist in making the transition process a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete