Sunday, July 10, 2011

My Personal Research Journey


This week I read three different articles relating to gender diversity within the early childhood classroom. I choose to focus on the gender diversity of the staff in early childhood facilities opposed to gender differences among young children. I am hoping that by digging deeper into gender diversity it will present some insight on not just parent involvement but male parent involvement as well. I found that when I was working in the early childhood field all of my volunteers were female.
I found this to be a very interesting topic to study. I personally have struggles with the idea of men in a early childhood class for many years myself. While I understand the importance of having dual role models within the classroom the idea of a male working with children before the age of kindergarten makes me a little uncomfortable. I believe that children will have plenty of time throughout their grade school years for dual interaction with both genders and it is not a necessity to have men in the classroom while children are still in diapers and pre-toileting phases of their life. However, in cases such as head start where potty training and volunteering is mandatory it would be interesting to see the amount of male volunteers if there were more male teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment