Sunday, January 30, 2011

Childhood Stressors

As a child one stressor that affected me was chaos. To this day chaos is still a stressor that affects me.  For me chaos causes a lot of anxiety. Anxiety is an emotion that as a child would affect my prosocial behavior, feelings and actions that are helpful and kind but are of no obvious benefit to oneself, and at times cause me to engage in antisocial behavior, feelings and actions that are deliberately hurtful or destructive to another person (Berger, 2009).  I don't feel that I ever intentionally tried to hurt anyone but when i would become anxious I would completely shut down and become void of any feelings or emotions. As I have grown older i have learned many different ways of dealing with anxiety such as talking about my feelings when I am upset or anxious about a situation. I have found that communication has been the key to helping with my anxiety and promoting prosocial behavior.

Berger, K. S. (2009). The developing person through childhood (5th ed.). New York, NY: Worth Publishers.

2 comments:

  1. I have experienced numerous children with anxiety when in stressful situations. My son has anxiety when something changes or he feels unsure about something. You are right; those feelings are best controlled when you express your thought and feelings with others. We have found this really works with him.

    The United States is said to have such a fast-pace, chaotic lifestyle; however, I have heard that several European countries live very differently. They do not have the chaos that Americans experience. Did you find out anything about other countries and the effects of chaos in their lives? This would be interesting to compare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tabitha,

    I did do research about other countries and found a lot of interesting information about Latino societies and anxiety across cultures. I submitted my posting about that above this one, hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete