Monday, December 13, 2010

Examining Codes of Ethics

1-1.7 To use assessment information to understand and support children's development and learning, to support instruction, and to identify children who may need additional services.

When working in Head Start I used to use assessment tools in particular to evaluate children. One tool I used was The Devereux Early Childhood Assessment which I found very interesting and informative from child to child.

1-2.2 To develop relationships of mutual trust and create partnerships with families we serve.

It is important that families trust who they are leaving their children with for a large portion of the day. By establishing a trusting relationship it allows there to be greater communication between teachers and families and a greater ability to get children the services needed.

1-3A.1-To establish and maintain relationships of respect, trust, confidentiality, collaboration, and cooperation with co-workers.

I truly believe children can sense when there isn't harmony within a setting whether it be home, or school. By following this ideal it allows there to not only be harmony in the classroom but the opportunity for teachers to share their thoughts, and opinions with each other for a greater outcome.

5 comments:

  1. I have used the DECA as well. It is an informative assessment of the students. I was also able to graph the results of my class to see which areas we needed to improve upon and which areas the children were doing well in and did not need improvement. Do you grpah your class results?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think it is important to teachers/care providers to establish trust with families. I am grateful for having trust in the business owners and childcare providers where my son attends day care. This is something that I want to give back to the families that I will one day serve with the operation of my own business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie,

    I never graphed my class results because the ages of my kids varied so much. I had 3, 4, and 5 year olds in my class so the skill range differed very much. I did group my kids though by age when I was comparing them as a whole to see the similarities and differences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have really enjoyed your blog. I have learn a lot from your postings, and I felt comfortable sharing stories, resources, and information because you have been a preschool teacher like I am. I wish you luck as you continue your journey in the Early Childhood filed, and hopefull you will see your dream of creating and implementing professional development courses come to fruition in the near future. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your experiences over the last seven weeks. I have little knowledge in this field and I appreciate your thoughts and comments on the blogs and discussions. I wish you much success as you continue to focus on your dream of developing education and training courses in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete